In Lifestyle on
October 22, 2017

7 things I miss about living in the Philippines

Kriselle in Cafe

Currently sat in a café, right in the centre of the hustlin’ and bustlin’ city of London, just reflecting on life, as you do on a very chilled Sunday morning. The thought of the day is somewhat lingering over what I imagine life would have been like if I lived in the Philippines (my home country) all my life and never moved across the (big) pond to England.

My friend recently gifted me with a beautiful handmade bag from the Philippines and made me miss home so much! It’s got me thinking about some of the things I miss about being home.

1. Family – I have a lot of extended family that live in the Philippines, especially from my mum’s side. I especially feel the FOMO when it’s Christmas time, knowing that our relatives are all gathered together eating a lot of AMAZING food and having such a good time, enjoying each other’s company.
  2. Food – now I’m just keeping it real here, food is life for me and I know that the homeland is overflowing with a lot of good cuisine that I always miss. I kid you not, it’s actually the most common everyday food that I miss like: hot taho in the morning, Tender Juicy hotdog with rice, isaw and suka, tapsilog, longgsilog and of course – Jolibee! The list could literally go on and on.
  3. Beach days – Philippines is made up of 7,100+ islands which means a beach is always within reach. During the long Easter break, families would come together and go on little beach escapades. Each household would be responsible to cook up a  dish to bring along to the beach picnic. Adobo (chicken or pork marinated in vinegar, soy sauce & garlic) tends to be the favourite in our family because it’s delicious even when eaten cold!
  4. Getting to wear tsinelas (aka. flip flops) all the time – I miss the luxury of not really having to worry about what shoes to wear because the weather is always hot, so you bust out your trusty ‘ol pair of flip flops for both comfort and staying cool in super warm weather.
  5. Late night shopping – shoppings malls there be stayin’ woke till late y’all! So good. Especially on Fridays when you just want to stay out and hang out with friends without migrating over to a super loud bar. I mean what if you just wanna talk? And sit. So yep, definitely miss that a lot.
  6. Nature – I must admit, despite the fact that I was born here, I’m actually not very well travelled around the Philippines and I know for sure I am missing out big time. So far I’ve only managed to see Palawan but watch this space for more travels around the Philippines
  7. The Filipinos – there are many Filipino communities here in the UK and all over the world to be honest, but there’s nothing quite like being home HOME and just be so immersed in the culture and the people. Sometimes I just find myself taking a moment to reflect on what life would have been like if we stayed in the Philippines all this time and never moved overseas…

kriselle in london cafe

I find home so rich in culture and there is so much more to see and learn. The bag I was gifted with is actually made of macramè which is a type of textile produced through knotting techniques. The beautiful design was intricately knotted using a 4mm nylon cord and I just love the colour they’ve chosen for this particular style. This bag is one of the many stunning creations of Barangay Tabao Proper Macrame and Weaving Women’s Association, a group of women from an impoverished community in Negros Island, Philippines. This group of exceptionally talented women was formed in 2014 through the Learning to Livelihood program of NEW Pathways to Enterprise.

macrame bag

The amazing work that NEW Pathways to Enterprise has done to date has enabled the creation of a wide range of products such as purses, belts, baskets and placemats. These are all products made from the heart, filled with their unwavering dedication to make lives better. My bag took approximately half a day to make so every time I carry this on my shoulder wherever I may be, I know I am proudly carrying the creation of my fellow Filipinos, like I am carrying a piece of the culture with me.

bag from philippines

These bags are offered at a retail price of Php 250 (around £10) and by purchasing one of these, your contributing to the lives of these women and the livelihood of their families.

I actually have an upcoming trip to the Philippines in a few weeks time and I am just so excited to be back home again. It’s going to be my grandad’s 80th birthday and I just can’t wait to be with the family again. I know it’s going to be a perfect opportunity to learn more about our culture and see where I can contribute to the community in any way I can.

Thank you to Paolopedia for the lovely photography.
Previous Post

You may also like

20 Comments

• Paolopedia

It was a nice colab Kaye!! Agree with your list, especially the tsinelas! 😄 It reminds me so much of the good old days going to school in flip flops! It’s sun-proof and waterproof! haha

October 22, 2017 at 11:49 pm Reply
  • Sakuranko

Oh sweetheart the food is always something for miss
    xx

October 30, 2017 at 3:02 am Reply
  • marisa

ahhh the list! although I’m not from Philippines , but i can relate. missing hometown can be tough!
    hope you’re doing fine in the UK! take care x

marisa – summer in march

October 30, 2017 at 6:00 am Reply
  • Leah

I wish our shopping stayed open as late here!!!!!!! Seriously living the dream!
    Xx Leah

October 30, 2017 at 7:47 am Reply
  • caroline

I would love to visit, it sounds so great !

October 30, 2017 at 9:21 am Reply
  • Amanda

I’m from New Mexico originally, and have been in the UK since 2010 but some days I really miss home! x

October 30, 2017 at 12:06 pm Reply
  • Courtney

The Philippines sounds nice. I can see why you’re missing it girl!

October 30, 2017 at 1:56 pm Reply
  • MihaBalan

Aww this is such a sweet post. I completely understand the miss of your own home, country and how anywhere you would go, you can’t replace where you grew up. Very unique handmade bag, I really like it.

October 30, 2017 at 4:17 pm Reply
  • katie

oh…that is the freakin’ DREAM – flip flips all round! i’m not surprised you miss that, i’d love to roll around life in flip flops 24/7. damn england and it’s cold, rainy weather!

the cafe photos in this post are gooooorgeous. so cosy and warm!

katie. xx lacoconoire.com

October 31, 2017 at 6:57 am Reply
  • Lisa Autumn

I really want to visit the Philippines one day!

xx Lisa | lisaautumn.com

October 31, 2017 at 6:14 pm Reply
  • Gabrielle

First of all, love the neon lighting in these photos – so cool! Secondly, I can absolutely imagine how much you must miss your family over there, as well as the food. Ahh I start missing British food after about 3 days of being abroad haha.

aglassofice.com
    x

November 1, 2017 at 3:10 pm Reply
  • Susanne - Bag at you

I can imagine you miss the Philippines as it sounds amazing!! Big Xx Susanne – http://bagatyou.com

November 1, 2017 at 7:15 pm Reply
  • SimpleLivingstyle

Such a nice post and very sweet bag. I understand you that you miss your country – friends, Family, Food, People and sunny days. Philipinnes is a very nice country. How Long are you in London? Do you want to stay there?
    xx Vera

November 1, 2017 at 7:40 pm Reply
  • Blackswan

Very pretty bag, sweetie! Looks like I’ve to revisit Philippines. xoxo

November 2, 2017 at 2:14 am Reply
  • Katya

London is massively different from Asia. I hope you can get home soon and satisfy your urge wearing those cute flip flops.

StyleSprinter Blog by Katya Bychkova

November 3, 2017 at 1:56 am Reply
  • Mercy

Your list made me miss the Philippines too. I miss celebrating Christmas and New Year there. Maybe if we haven’t moved out of the Phils we also would wonder what if we did, so there’s always question whatever hehe. Nice to find your blog. Wishing you well in your visit in our old country.

November 4, 2017 at 11:55 am Reply
  • Anouk

I have never been to the Philippines but I want to go one day for sure! But London is an amazing place – one of my favourites in the world.

ANOUK

November 4, 2017 at 3:20 pm Reply
  • Emily

I’ve always only ever lived in the UK so I can’t imagine what it must feel like to be so far from home! The food sounds INCREDIBLE and I’d definitely miss going to the beach – I bet the ones here just don’t compare do they!?

Musings & More

November 5, 2017 at 9:57 am Reply
  • Annabelle

Looks like you had an amazing time living in the Philippines. I hope to be able to visit it someday it seems such a gorgeous place to go.

x Annabelle